Tuesday 7 June 2016

Starting a Family with a Brand New 2 Year Old Retail Business

Matt (my husband) and I have been trying for a baby since the beginning of 2015.
Me and my better half, 2015.
I'm two years into my business and I have created a great foundation for my business, I have the staff I need (and LOVE!) that will allow me to step away for a couple months. Notice I said couple months? Business owners don't get paid government maternity leave, and to be honest I don't know any business owners that can be away from their business for a year, let alone have it run successfully without them.


New York trade show, Matt and I go twice a year to do the buying for the store.

Merchandise levels are good, clientele is growing every month, social media and marketing is taken care of by my new store manager, we are launching an online store commercial this month. I have crossed my T's and dotted my i's, as far as I can plan!
We really want more then 2 kids so age was starting to creep up. A lot of people think I'm too young to own a business let alone start a family (I still get ID'd for lottery tickets, which to be honest is more of an annoyance then a compliment). But I am almost 32 and its time to really start thinking about this stage of life!

Like I said in my last post, I am a planner. So to have a minimum of 3 kids with at least a year break in between we needed to start now. As most women know things don't always go as planned, so an early start allows for some problems to arise and hopefully still have 3+ kids before I hit 40.
The American family dream. White picket fence, 2.5 Children, a dog, working dad and a stay at home mom. Fast forward to 2016 and things are a little different now!
I do understand kids and babies can't be "planned", everyone tells me this... But its how I work and it helps give me an idea of what step I need to take next. I also understand I may change my mind after having my first child that I may not want as many children as I anticipate (haha). I've just always wanted a big family, the more people to love and the more people to love you back! Like my favourite saying from Moulin Rouge says "The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return".



A big happy, loving family with a successful business to pass onto my children is what I dream of. Que the laughs, sarcastic "yeah rights" and "wait until your first". I'm sure I will read this back after my first and join you in those laughs, but hey, a girl can dream!


In March 2016 my husband and I found out we were pregnant. (Now 23 Weeks)

It has been a long journey to get here and now that we are pregnant it's time to put the real planning in motion!
Our pregnancy announcement


No comments :

Post a Comment